Our history

Our history begins in Boves (Cuneo, Italy) at the end of the 1950s when Domenico Ambrogio purchased his first vehicle and set up the international haulage business. After a few years, identifying the increasing difficulties associated with long-distances transportation, Domenico Ambrogio decided to focus on intermodality and to integrate the best potential of rail and road.

Ambrogio Trasporti S.p.A. was founded in 1969

50 years later, the Ambrogio Group operates through a private European network, with six rail terminals, a fleet of 400 freight wagons and over 1,300 intermodal units.

1950

Founded in Piedmont as an international haulage company

1966

Opens a branch in Antwerp, Belgium

1969

Founding of Ambrogio Trasporti S.p.A. and construction of Candiolo terminal (Turin, Italy)

1970

First railway shipment between Italy (Candiolo) and Belgium (Muizen)

1978

Construction of Le Boulou terminal in France

1982

“Ambrogio Intermodale del Nordeste” is founded in Barcelona

1983

Opens a branch in Irún (Spain)

1984

Construction of Gallarate terminal (Varese, Italy)

1985

First train from Gallarate to Cologne (Germany)

1986

First train from Gallarate to Muizen (Belgium)

1990

Foundation of Ambrogio GmbH and start of transport activities in Neuss, Germany

2001

Start of environmental Reverse Logistics activities (collection and transportation of industrial waste)

2003

The Irún branch is relocated to Mouguerre (France) at the Centre Européen de Fret.

2007

Opening ceremony of Lötschberg Base Tunnel (Switzerland): the Ambrogio train is the first to pass through.

2008

Start of terminal activities carried out by third parties at Le Boulou terminal (France).

2013

Construction of new offices and warehouse in Neuss (Germany)

2014

Ambrogio becomes an ECM (Entity in Charge of Maintenance) for its fleet of rail wagons

2018

Construction of a new railway workshop in Candiolo (Turin, Italy)